Last Updated on June 14, 2022 by T Mehedi
Screen protectors are basically transparent glass or plastic shields for protecting our device’s screens. It can protect the screen from scratches, fingerprints, and sometimes from breaking.
But, do screen protectors affect display quality? To be honest, yes. As it is another layer of protection with glass or plastic, of course, it will make your screen less vibrant. But that also varies with the type and quality of protectors.
Though it is called an “Invisible shield”, it’s not completely invisible. Rather some users claim that the protector makes the screen dull and decreases quality.
So, how much the display of your device will be affected, depends on certain factors. Let’s discuss them in detail.
Types of Screen Protectors:
Depending on display and protector type, the result can vary. Maybe you’ve just heard about tempered glass only. But you’ll be amazed to know that there are classifications among screen protectors.
Before discussing the effect, let’s have a look at all types of screen protectors:
- Tempered glass: These are modern screen protectors. They feel nice while touching and they are also really hard and tough. You can apply this glass easily to the display of your device. It is way harder than a plastic protector.
- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET): This is a plastic protector. It is cheap in price. As it is thin, it affects your display less. But it is not as hard as tempered glass. It’s also difficult to install.
- Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU): TPU is the most commonly used, plastic protector. This is also thinner than glass and has less weight. So, it looks good on screen. Also, it provides better protection than a PET screen protector.
- Liquid Screen Protectors: This may sound weird but yes, they exist. This doesn’t provide that much protection but looks good on phone.
From this, we can see different protectors serve different purposes.
Do Screen Protectors Affect Display Quality?
As I’ve mentioned earlier, yes! Screen protector decreases display quality. But sometimes it can also be good for some LCD displays. In those displays, a protector makes the screen look more attractive by decreasing the excessive emitted light.
Screen protectors are nothing but a layer of glass or plastic. This layer is harder than normal glass. So, it provides protection. But as there will be an extra layer on the display, refraction of light will occur.
This phenomenon decreases the quality of images and videos. Like you can see a clear difference between a display that is protected by tempered glass and a display without it. It makes the screen look gloomy and dull. It also decreases the default brightness.
During a sunny day, it can be a real problem to use a screen protector on your device as it’ll look dark on the screen.
Do You Really Need To Use A Screen Protector?
In some cases, a screen protector may be useful. In the following situations, using a protector may be a good idea.
- If you are a heavy worker and your device remains at risk of falling.
- You keep keys or coins in your pocket beside your phone.
- Your stay in a dark room where the difference created by the protector won’t be a problem.
Nowadays, tablets are coming with gorilla glass protection. It is a very hard glass produced by the company named ‘Corning’. It is nearly scratch-free and provides good protection too.
So, if you’re wondering about, do screen protectors affect display quality, then going for gorilla glass tablets will be wise. then, you won’t need to use extra protection. In that case, you can enjoy the real quality of your device’s display.
But, if you’re worried about protection more, then I’ll suggest, do use a protector. At an accident or unexpected event, it can save your favorite tablet’s display.